Monday, January 14, 2013

Risotto

Its cold.. I mean, cold down to your bones, don't warm up until you've been un-swaddled and sitting in a hot room for at least 15 minutes cold. I'm a proud Minnesotan, raised here for 23 years and counting. I like and appreciate winter, but when it dips to single digits and negative wind chills, I just want to cozy up inside and be a lazy sloth covered in a fuzzy fleece blanket, watching Netflix and being a human vegetable. Which is exactly what I did with my Sunday morning.
Well.. I did get my butt out of bed for the coldest run of my life before that day of lounging. It was 3 degrees with a windchill that I didn't bother to look at after I saw the negative sign in front of a two digit number. I made it 3 miles and called it quits. So it's a justifiable day indoors with blankets, right?

One of my new(ish) favorite comfort foods is risotto. I first tasted risotto just over a year ago (can you believe it!) I'd never had it until my friend Julia invited us over for dinner and made it. Since then I've tried it myself several times, tweeking a little bit here and there.
Its a delicious comfort food, but usually time pretty time consuming. It needs constant babysitting and stirring. I'd say the first few times I made it took about 60+ minutes start to finish. After that, I wanted to 'streamline' the process and spend less time standing in my tiny kitchen stirring and stirring.
In my search I stumbled up on this recipe, from Joy the Baker which requires very little watching and consists mostly just waiting for the rice to cook and absorb all the liquid. Its a good one, but doesn't yield a risotto that is quite as smooth and buttery. (Note: it is also a recipe adapted from a low fat recipe).
So the following recipe is my take on risotto, with some short cuts that (I don't think) leave a risotto lacking in any flavor or consistency.

1/2 large onion or 1 medium onion
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup aborro rice
1 box chicken broth
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup of frozen peas (you can also use other veggies, just make sure they are in smallish, bite friendly pieces)
herbs
This serves about 4-5 with some seconds!!

1. Heat 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil) in a large pot. You'll want a pot large enough to hold a few quarts of rice/broth and be able to stir without fear of slopping over the sides. I usually just use my largest pot.

2. Dice the onion and add to the oil/butter. Cook onions until translucent and starting to brown. Don't worry about the slightly browned bits, these will be degalzed later and build flavor!

3. Add in rice and stir until rice is coated in the left over butter and onions. Add white wine and stir until liquid is almost gone.

4. Turn the heat down slightly, and start to add chicken broth about 1/2 cup at a time. There's no need to measure exactly, you can pour straight from box to pot!

5. After each addition of broth to the pot, stir well. You can let it sit for about 5 minutes between stirs as long as you stir well and scrape down the sides. Avoid rice grains sticking to the sides, these will not absorb the broth and just take longer to cook.
Also, make sure the stove top isn't too hot, you don't want to burn anything.

6. After about 30 minutes check the risotto. You won't have finished adding all the broth, but you might not need to add it all. You'll be looking for an al dente texture. If you like it softer, add a bit more broth and cook cookin! It shouldn't be a solid mass, but a 'loose'. Think thin rice pudding. When you serve, it should sink into a thick puddle, not a solid mass.

7. When you reach your desired texture, add the remaining butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
Note: You do not need to add the entire stick, BUT butter never hurts the creamy and savory element of this dish.
Next add your cheese and stir until completely incorporated. This would also be the time to add your veggies or herbs. I usually use frozen peas as they are easy to have on hand and require no previous preparation. Just make sure to heat through! and Enjoy!


Feel free to add/play around with the herbs and vegetables.
-Shiitake mushrooms
-Asparagus
-Leeks
-Sage
-Rosemary
-Thyme
-Lemon zest

Here are a couple other risotto recipes to try out!
-Bacon, Egg and Leek Risotto from Smitten Kitchen
-Asparagus, Artichoke and Shiitake Risotto also from Smitten Kitchen
-Zucchini and Summer Squash Risotto from Shutterbean

Apologies there are not pictures, I was a complete space cadet when I made this and didn't take any.

No comments:

Post a Comment