Sunday, September 23, 2012

Busy Bee!

Two posts in one week?!?! Holy mackrel!

Today I proudly present, Buttermilk Cake. I had some buttermilk leftover from the Cinnamon Apple Cake and wanted to use it up. I always feel bad not ever using up all the buttermilk. Its such a waste, but it gets pushed to the back of the fridge and I forget about it.
Well, not this time! I set out to find a recipe worthy of the remainder of this milk.

Also, I just went to go see these guys play a free show at the Cedar: The MOVITS!
Totally worth going out on a work night! Didn't understand most of the show though as it was all in Swedish, haha. These guys put on a great, energetic show! They danced and jumped all over the stage, it was great.



Tanyard Farm Buttermilk Cake


Cake:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour

**The original recipe calls for King Arthus Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, which I shamefully do not own King Arthur Flour (its on my wishlist) so regular flour will still yield tasty results!

Topping:
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 milk
2/3 to 1 cup diced pecans

This recipe is for a 9x13" pan, but since I did not need cake for 24 people, I simply halved the recipe when I made it and put it in a 8' cake round. If you are going to do the same, I suggest filling the pan about halfway full, leaving at least a cup of batter still in the bowl (to be used for 2-3 cupcakes or a small/mini loaf). The amount of batter this made filled my poor pan to the brim and looked on the verge of overflowing.

If making the full recipe, lightly great a 9x13" cake pan.
*For smaller cakes, follow the same instructions for whatever size pan(s) you are using.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth (3-4 minutes).

2. Add the eggs, and stir until completely combined.

3. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract.

4. Add baking soda, salt and flour to wet ingredients, beating until throughly combined and smooth.

5. Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake. I highly recommend putting the cake pan on a baking sheet, just in case things get a little messy.

6. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes (mine took almost 45 since it was so deep and the batter is quite dense). Towards the end of baking time, prepare the gooey caramel-like topping.

7. Heat a small sauce pan on medium heat, adding in butter and sugar. Stir to combine. Once the sugar is dissolved, add milk, pecans and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

8. Remove cake from the oven and spoon topping over the cake.
**The middle of my cake sunk in completely when I did this. Fear not! It creates a soft, gooey middle for the cake! You'll thank me later!

9. Return the cake to the oven for 10-15 more minutes, until fully cooked. Test with a butter knife or toothpick until done. Mine took closer to 15 minutes while the original recipe says 10.

10. Let cool for 5-10 minutes then dig in! Cake is still good when cooled to room temperature.
Store covered/in an air tight container for up to 3-4 days.
Serving suggestions: scoop of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream on top while still hot and extra gooey!






No comments:

Post a Comment